Ovingham Reading Room Committee
Minutes of ordinary committee meeting Monday 25th Febuary 2019
Present: Neville Gray, Doreen Jordon, Marion Lewis, Vera Hepple, Louise Leonard, Lorraine White and Debbie Reed.
1. Apologies for absence: Dean Bowen, Sally Dobson, Chris Lindsay and Georgina Harper.
2. Minutes of meeting on 28th January 2019: these were accepted as a true record and signed off by the Chairman.
3. Matters arising from the minutes but not on the agenda: none.
4. Update on Reading Room maintenance /safety actions:
i) safe storage of tables: Marion reported that tables weren’t always returned to the appropriate trolley and loaded in the right way, which could present safety problems. It was agreed that we would colour-code the tables and the trolleys to avoid confusion.
ii) action taken on dvd player: Dave Proctor had been unable to find the fault and had lent us his own dvd player while he takes our player to the supplier.
iii) electric cables in porch: no action taken yet.
5. Chair’s report: covered by previous items.
6. Treasurer’s report: our current balance is £22 809.88. No major points to raise, though it was agreed that we might make a balance transfer to increase the amount of interest we earn from our Building Society account.
7. Booking Secretary's report: income for January was £880, and projected income for February is £645.
8. Goose Fair committee meeting report: Neville reported on progress with Goose Fair plans from the sub-committee meeting on 20th February.
9. Quiz feedback: this had been a great success. It was agreed that we should hold another one in September (Pat Scott has already prepared questions!) but would have to restrict numbers and also recommend pre-booking on the advertising.
We are often asked about the proceeds of an event. Calculating the bar proceeds is always difficult, so it was agreed that in future we would unify bar costs and takings with Film Club, rather than try to keep them separate.
10 Reading Room 125th anniversary event May 18th 2019: This is to be an open coffee/prosecco morning, not a fundraiser. We agreed that we would put out a request for photographs relating to both the Reading Room and the Goose Fair (Debbie to put in April Parish Magazine) and would display them at both events (Doreen to plan display).
Neville would simplify and update the booklet that was published on the 100th anniversary of the opening of the Reading Room ready for the 125th anniversary event. We would see what merchandise we had in the loft, and consider buying more key ring blanks to complete with an appropriate design.
11. Monthly Planner actions:
i) emergency lighting check: carried out.
i) Toddler Group insurance: it was agreed that the Toddler Group should have their own insurance in case of an accident relating to their equipment, and we would recommend that they investigate that themselves.
13. Date of next ordinary meeting: Monday March 25th 2019