Reading Room Committee Meeting

Monday 30th April 2012 7.30pm

Attending: Neville Gray (Chair), Richard Heslop, Doreen, Jordan, Jackie Scrowther, Ada Blackburn, Judy Campbell, Lou Leonard, Jean Docherty, Vanessa Saunders, Debbie Reed, Sue Proctor, Georgina harper, Sally.

Apologies: Pat Stott, Hazel Chalmers

Item no




Minutes of last meeting discussed

  • Jean has received documents from David Grenville and passed them on to Neville to send off.

  • Property deeds (on-going item)NG went to see Frank who unfortunately couldn’t help. Neville will continue with this matter.

  • Charges for large parties – it was agreed that parties of 75 + persons will be charged @ £45 for a half day hire and £75 for full day hire.

  • Jumble Sale for Ovilympics will be 19th May

  • Pat will bring ‘pat test’ results to the next meeting







  1. Temporary Booking Secretary – HF has passed the phone and paperwork to NG. Lou Leonard has volunteered to take over until Hazel feels she can resume the duties however Lou may not always be available to open up.

  2. Quotes for Lights – Paul Rock’s quote of £288 inc VAT/Scaffolding will be accepted. He will also be asked to put a sensor light in the cleaners cupboard.Possible days/dates for this work are 17th May when the chat club are on a trip or a Monday.

  3. Year Planner – NG has been researching this on the internet. This would be used for RR events not bookings.

  4. Checklist – Neville has obtained one of these from Hazel C and will try and implement it.

  5. Open Day – Lots of good feedback

  6. Jackie Scrowther Resignation – Jackie has confirmed that she will continue as GF Booking Secretary for this year and be on the GF sub-committee. She is happy to help with opening the RR and fund-raising. Jackie has also passed on names to NG of people who may like to join the RR committee. It was agreed that the committee will send JS a Thank You card.

  7. Caretaker/Handyman – It was agreed that this needs further discussion. NG will put together a job description/hours per week etc and JD will check wage limit.

  8. Film Club (loss of funding) –Louise explained that if the RR were to take on the film club we would require a compatible dvd player and projector which may cost up to £1,000. Sally said that Ernest has a projector which he would be happy to try out in the RR. Lou will contact Lucy who does the bookings for the Film Club to confirm when it will be coming to an end.

  9. Granville the Goose! – Richard Heslop has agreed to take him home.










  1. GF Report

  • The middle school has offered car-parking for the Olympic torch as well as the Goose Fair.

  • First Aid cover will be given by Ken Irving (Abbey Medical) @ £140 for the day.

  • There will be an approx. overlap of an hour with the torch.

  1. Chair’s Report

  • Everything covered in section 2

  1. Treasurer’s Report

  • Details of the RR Bank Accounts were given including monies in/out. These were agreed and signed by Jean/Neville.

  • Balance in Lloyds 31/03/12 (A/C 646) - £10,567.37

  • Balance in Lloyds 30/04/12 (A/C 646) - £10,058.65

  • Balance in Lloyds 31/03/12 (A/C 124) - £553.90

  • Bal Northern Rock 26/03/12 £9.69

  • Jean told the committee that she is stepping down as Treasurer. She will present figures to the RR Committee on 25th June and 30th July for the AGM. Jean said she will carry on with the book keeping and Goose Fair Accounts but will no longer be doing annual accounts.

  1. Booking Secretary’s Report

  • April Invoices have been sent

  • Church Harvest has been confirmed for Friday October 19th.







  • Roof Lead – an attempt was made to steal roof lead from the church

  • First Aid Kit – SP noticed that most items are out of date. Jean will purchase a new kit.

  • Jumble Collection – Friday 18th May between 5 and 8pm


Date of Next Meeting

Monday 28th May 2012 at 7.30pm

RRCM 30/04/2012 Page 3 of 3